August 30, 2012

"A Flute of Marbles"



5" x 7" oil on Ampersand Gessobord
- SOLD -

This is probably the marble finale, at least for a while.  I do have another interesting idea for a single marble so I'll probably go back to painting some more of them when I decide I'm ready to torture myself again!  I feel a need to loosen up big time after all of this attention to tedious detail.  I was on the road to a more loose and painterly style then I drove right into the ditch when I started painting marbles.

This is very colorful!  Not only is there a lot of color in the marbles but then the glass picks up and reflects them.  For the background I used Alizarin Crimson with Ultramarine Blue then added a few other colors in some places to get some interesting blacks and grays.  Don't know if all that will show up on your monitor.

For those of you who may not know... The larger turquoise marble is a "shooter".  I'm not sure exactly how the game goes but it has something to do with drawing a circle, putting the smaller marbles inside the circle then "shooting" the big one at the the small ones to win those you are able to knock out.  There must be some other rules.

 

7 comments:

  1. Kathleen, it's a wonderful painting, just like all your other ones. The marbles are so colorful and your background shows up very well. Tedious indeed but great attention to detail!!
    Annette Weiner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kathleen:) So beautiful. That background is perfect behind the colorful marbles. Your flute is so nice. I loved your marble serie. Your shooter is in dutch called "stuiter" en the marble is called "knikker". Try to say that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much! I just got notice that this one is sold! That is always a thrill... like an affirmation that I'm doing something right! Renate, thanks for the Dutch words!:) I have a little Dutch ancestry on my father's side, along with a mixture of many other nationalities like many of us here in the US.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Kathleen. Congratulations on your sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! Kathleen,this painting is gorgeous!! I especially love the blue one ,it glows with an extraordinary light!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Painting such beautiful individual marbles seemed clever enough, a whole glassful of them seems amazing. Well done on both the picture and on your sale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a prize you have here Kathleen! All of that color, contained. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete