October 7, 2012

"Grapes in a Glass"

6" x 6" oil on Ampersand Gessobord
NFS


Well so much for loose and free!  I fought with the details but in the end, the details won.  I just couldn't seem to stop fiddling with it.  I lit this from the back and a little to the left to set up the challenge of painting the luminous translucency of the grapes.  I tried to pay close attention to get the values and colors accurate which is the key to making them appear to be translucent.  It was an interesting challenge that I want to explore some more.  I think I was able to capture the look on this one at least to some degree.  Now I'm wondering if I should have darkened the background a little to increase the contrast with the grapes.

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work Kathleen!! i love the colours,the grapes and background really compliment each other! The grapes are luminous and fresh looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grape stem running down is acting as an important anchor as much as the glass itself for this composition, beautiful Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the stem adds a lot to unify the composition. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hello Kathleen:) It is so obvious to darken the background. This color fits perfectly with the grapes. The color itself is very nice. Exactly right:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renate! I'm glad you think so, it's grown on my and I think I'm happy with it the way it is.:)

      Delete
  4. Thanks Jen! I think there is magic involved! I kind of know the "formula" to make it work but then, once I finish, and if I come close to pulling it off, it does seem magical to me too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't make it easy for yourself- backlit translucent grapes and glass! I think you've pulled it off beautifully, the grapes are touchable in their realism. You have a lovely and very accomplished style - I'm not entirely sure why you want to change it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evie! I'm not exactly sure either except that I'd like my paintings be celebrate being paintings and not try to shoot for realism. I want to play around and experiment. I love to see definite brush strokes, soft edges, unfinished areas, unexpected liberty with color and all those wonderful "painterly" things that seem to elude me. I admire all these qualities in other artists and I just want to explore them, try them on for size, see if they fit me.

      Delete
  6. That's a very good answer. You have an excellent grounding with your drawing skills, I reckon that must count for an awful lot. I know you have mentioned not being able to stop fussing about - have you tried desperatly severe and strict time limits!?
    That and lock up your little brushes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evie! I have tried those things and, they work! Then I fall back into the same comforting addiction to detail.:) I have been too busy with other things lately but today I have some time to paint so I will try your suggestions! Stay tuned and we'll see how I do on my next post!

      Delete
  7. This is such a successful painting on many levels, Kathleen. If you look at it and still feel you need to get more painterly then you have to ask yourself why your head and hand are not working together. You wrote a wonderful reply to Evie. I understood exactly what you meant, but when I see the painting above done with such accomplishment, I also know why it would be very hard to let loose of the control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comment, Julie. It means a lot coming from you since I greatly admire your work, your knowledge and expertise.:) I am happy with this one even though I abandoned my goal of loosening up. I allowed myself to get more detailed on it because I saw where it was going and I felt it deserved the extra attention. I still want to experiment but you have made me re-think my need to keep forcing myself to loosen up. I've been sort of "stuck" and maybe I just need to paint for a while without thinking so much and see what naturally happens.:) Thanks!!

      Delete
  8. Amazing painting , really beautiful in every way! Gorgeous light and details..and love the two opposites red/green together.

    ReplyDelete