July 9, 2012

"Three Apples"

6" x 6" oil on Ampersand Gessoboard
- SOLD -


I'm happy with this one... much looser while still depicting a high level of detail.  I tried focusing on painting the light rather than painting the objects.  I took time to study values, did a lot of squinting and painted general areas of lights and darks to create volume and solidity first.  This prevented me from getting bogged down in the details too early in the process and somehow that liberated me to play around more freely.  I am determined to do more exploring but I finally feel like I'm moving in the right direction.  Stay tuned!

Update... "Pear with White Stripes" sold in the DPW auction yesterday... thank you!


7 comments:

  1. Wonderful rendering of the fabric. Everything pulls together in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, Kathleen!! LOve the loose brush strokes. Congrats on your sale too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Kathleen! I agree, just enough looseness. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are very affirming and encouraging. Thank you all so much!

      Delete
  4. Kathleen, this is really beautiful. I love the palette. Great contrast in color and handling of values.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! I love your work and am honored that you noticed mine and took the time to comment. :)

      Delete
  5. This is beautifully painted and I love the composition.

    ReplyDelete