![]() |
| 6" x 6" oil on Ampersand Gessobord - SOLD - |
Hope everyone had a good safe holiday! Our little town had a typical small-town parade followed up with food and celebrating at our city park. I volunteered several hours to do some patriotic face painting... it's so much fun to see little faces light up when they see themselves in the mirror!
I started this painting several days ago but have just been too busy to finish it until today. Here is another sprig picked off of my backyard blueberry bushes. They are loaded with berries this year!
I have to keep reminding myself that the goal of my daily painting and blogging is to learn, to grow and to ultimately develop my own style. The paintings produced are just a by-product of the activity, they are not the reason I'm painting. However, in the course of doing each painting, it seems there always comes a point when I become invested in the finished piece. This causes me to then stop being willing to experiment for fear of messing up the final outcome. I fall back into a safe mode rather than stretching and learning... I need to work on somehow changing this in my mind... throw caution to the wind, play, mess up...

Like the blueberry wreath. I too fear going too far and at times I wish I had the control Z in real life when I realize it was better before.
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting Carlene!
DeleteI love this Kathleen! Got me thinking of our traveling chicken project. ☺ I took an online photography course with a man who talked about "failing with a purpose". When I go into a project with this in mind, it frees me up to discover new possibilities. All our pieces do NOT have to be keepers! I find I learn the most from my failures. We have to allow ourselves that freedom and we don't have to show people everything we do. You are so very accomplished. Now it's time to play, experiment and go a little crazy. I have recently found that doing the same composition in various approaches helps me to find ways of doing it differently and perhaps more creatively.
ReplyDeleteHa! The Traveling Chicken! Can't wait for her to arrive here in GA! I think I'm in line after you but I don't know where she goes after me.:)
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your input. I'm going to try your suggestion and go at the same set up from a few different approaches to see what happens. Thanks!
Can't wait t see what you come up with!
DeleteLove those berries around the creamer! I know what you mean about trying to experiment with paintings. I am doing that now with my face it studies. You commented on my green background. It was an acrylic background that I wiped back in a few places. For the area around the face I mixed up the same colour in oils ( because the acrylic colour was a bit patchy ) and wiped that back in a few places too.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for leaving a comment!
Thanks Helen! Appreciate the explanation. Your face-it series is brilliant and your bold approach to painting is very inspirational. I hope to gain a little of that kind of boldness in my work.
ReplyDelete