May 14, 2012

"Ham and Eggs"

6" x 6" acrylic on gessoboard
- SOLD -

I have fussed over this little painting for two days!  This may be my last tight, very detailed painting for a while.  I feel a need to do some exercises to try to loosen up and stop getting bogged down so much in all the details.  Maybe tomorrow I will limit myself to a larger brush and maybe put a time limit on it.  Maybe I'll try some apples in a Carol Marine-type style.  Maybe I'll paint without my glasses.  Maybe I'll drink some wine... a lot of wine.

The painting style I most admire is looser and more painterly, yet it seems no matter what I have in my mind's eye when I begin to paint, I end up here, tight and precise.  When I see all the tiny details, the highlights, the shadows, the reflected light... all the details that are so often overlooked or glossed over... I feel compelled to paint them.  Why?  Just to prove that I noticed them?  Did you notice the little white stripes that are visible on the green rim of the bowl above?  Very easily overlooked, but I saw them so I painted them!  Once I start down that road, oh my, there's no stopping me!  Ugh.

One advantage of painting daily is having the liberty to experiment a little.  One of my goals is to find my voice.  I've been singing the same tune for a while and I'd like to jazz it up some to see what will happen. So, I give myself permission to play!  Stay tuned!



2 comments:

  1. Your work is just beautiful. It is much harder to paint details works than looser works and I think it is more appreciated by collectors. This is my experience. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madison for stopping by. Wow! After seeing your work I feel truly honored that you took the time to comment on mine! Thank you for sharing your experience and I will consider what you said as I continue to find my way. I am naturally drawn to detail so, even after exploring some looser work, I will probably fall back into what comes naturally. Thanks!

      Delete