May 21, 2012

"Rook"

6" x 6" acrylic on gessoboard
$100. + $10. s/h in USA
email me for international rates

According to Wikipedia:   "Rook is a trick-taking game, usually played with a specialized deck of cards. Sometimes referred to as "Christian cards" or "missionary poker", Rook playing cards were introduced by Parker Brothers in 1906 to provide an alternative to standard playing cards for those in the Puritan tradition or Mennonite culture who considered the face cards in a regular deck inappropriate because of their association with gambling and cartomancy."

Well, this painting is a real departure from my norm.  Huh, as if I have a norm!  Anyway, if I did, somehow I'm pretty sure this isn't it!  These are vintage Rook cards from the 1940's and I've wanted to paint them for a while.  Now that I have, I'm not sure how I feel about this one.  It's late, I'm tired, I'll post it and it may look different in the morning.  It doesn't matter anyway since this blog is all about exploring new things... experimenting and taking some risks.  So, you will see the good, the bad and the ugly in the process.


5 comments:

  1. Interesting - I've never heard of rook cards. Please tell me you painted this from a photo - I can't imagine the stress of painting it from life (what if there was a draft!?) I really love this painting - well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! Thanks for your kind comment. I was surprised to get any favorable reaction to this one... one of my friends told me it was creepy and she felt like the birds were going to fly out and peck her on the head! I too think it looks a little creepy but sometimes you just have to paint something other than apples and pears! I took a photo for reference, but mostly I painted it from life but cheated with some tiny pieces of tape at the top of each triangle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one seems like it would be really challenging! I'm always drawn to crow/raven imagery, so I like it. Bravo for sharing ALL your work, Kathleen! Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! I like crows too and have taken some photos that I may try to use one of these days.

      Delete
  4. Kathleen, It's a great bold painting!! Thanks for all your wonderful comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete